Those are important questions for you since spring rains bring higher than normal chances for flooding.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home.
- Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel in your home if you live in an area that has a high flood risk.
- Consider installing "check valves" to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home.
- If feasible, construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.
Do you know who your flood plain manager is in your City or County?
Have you checked with your insurance agent about your flood coverage?
Floods | Ready.gov: