For more information, visit www.AmeriCorps.gov, or https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/search.do?&criteria.programState=OK, or contact me at Jeff.Robbins@redcross.org.
PLEASE HELP US GET THE WORD OUT ABOUT THESE OPPORTUNITIES!
Below are the Position Descriptions, including:Responsibilities, Qualifications/Requirements and Benefits:
- Members of the National Preparedness & Response Corps will complete projects that enhance organizational service delivery, expand community networks and resources while developing their professional skill base.
Community Disaster Preparedness focused: Oklahoma City or Norman.
Disaster Volunteer Development focused: Oklahoma City, Norman, Lawton, Enid, Woodward, Shawnee, Stillwater, or Ardmore.
Youth/College Volunteer Development focused: Oklahoma City or Norman.
• Act as part of a team to complete NPRC goals and objectives.
• Coordinate a special project relating to the accomplishment of NPRC goals and objectives.
• Participate in member development activities of the NPRC.
• Complete NPRC Member Hour/Activity reports.
• Manage a disaster preparedness program in a specific area with the goal of increasing the community's ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters.< br />• Provide age-appropriate and culturally aware community disaster education presentations in diverse and high-risk areas with a goal of increasing awareness and knowledge of disasters and other emergencies while influencing behavior change in service recipients. Specific programming to include Be Red Cross Ready, (ii) Fire Safety and (ii) Hazard Specific.
• Work in diverse communities to support development of stronger community networks in collaboratio n with local faith groups, businesses, government agencies and non-profits.
• Serve as members of a Disaster Action Team and respond on national, regional and local disaster relief operations.
• Recruit, train, mentor and actively engage volunteers in Red Cross disaster programs and services.
• Develop community contacts, network with local agencies and be a positive ambassador for the American Red Cross and the National Preparedness & Response Corps
Specific for Disaster Volunteer Development focused position:
• Support Disaster Workforce Engagement (DWE) activities to include facilitation and documentation of training and exercise and other work in support of volunteer capacity building. This includes:
• Serve in a Staff Services role to support large Regional Disaster Relief Operations (activate and coordinate Disaster Responders)
• Assisting in creating and implementing Regional Training Schedules for v olunteers
• Serve as a Regional point of contact for volunteer training inquiries
Specific for Youth/College Volunteer Development focused position:
• Target recruiting and engagement of those in both high schools and colleges, including developing Red Cross Clubs. (Service locations specific to: Oklahoma City, Norman, Stillwater, Lawton, Shawnee).
• Willing to make an 11-month commitment (September 02, 2014 to July 31, 2015) and complete a minimum of 1700 hours of service.
• NPRC Members are Full-Time and must be available during normal business hours, Monday to Friday. Due to the nature of the program, there will be times when Members are required to serve after normal business hours including nights and weekends, sometimes on short notice.
• At least 18 years of age by the start of the progr am.
• A U.S. Citizen, U.S. National or lawful permanent resident alien of the U.S.
• Minimum, high school diploma or its equivalent. College degree highly desired.
• Current valid driver's license and a clean driving record.
• Previous successful experience working with diverse populations.
• At least one year of volunteer or community service experience.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent public speaking skills.
• Ability to be deployed on national, regional and local disaster relief operations for a minimum of two weeks.
• Demonstrated professionalism, flexibility and initiative.
• Bilingual Spanish a plus.
• $13,500 living stipend for 11 months of ser vice.
• Upon successful completion of the program, eligible for an education award in the amount of $5,645 (which can be used to pay educational costs at eligible post-secondary educational institutions (including many technical schools and GI-Bill approved educational programs), as well as to repay qualified student loans).
• Student loan deferment or forbearance.
• Health insurance provided. Childcare available if eligible.
NON-DISCRIMINATION PUBLIC NOTICE: This program's recruitment is conducted without regard to race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, gender, religion or political affiliation.
Regional Director of Volunteer Services
American Red Cross
Central and Western Oklahoma Region