Partnering with older Americans and engaging them in preparedness efforts can make a significant difference in communities before, during, and after disasters. On July 11-12, the Delaware State Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) hosted a two-day Disaster Preparedness class at the Barclay Farms Senior Community in Camden, DE. 40 staff members and residents received fire extinguisher training in preparation for a digital fire suppression exercise, and participated in several other activities.
- Discuss what hazards might impact their community.
- Help them to sign up for Local Emergency Alerts.
- Help them to create a disaster support network.
- Make sure their Emergency Supply Kits are updated.
- Discuss evacuation and shelter-in-place plans.
- Be sure their critical documents and valuables are protected.