- Make sure the fireplace has an Underwriters’ Laboratory (UL) listing. This ensures the product has been tested for safety;
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions closely;
- Keep the area where you're using the fireplace well ventilated;
- Do not use the fireplace in sleeping areas; and
- Light the fireplace using a utility lighter or long match.
As with all heating equipment, space is important! Create a “safe zone” around the device by keeping children, pets, and anything that can burn at least three feet away.