Emergency Management News

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

College Campus Safety #AltusOK @westernokstate

Summer break is almost over and many students are preparing to head back to campus for another school year.  Before you or your student enters their new college home, it's important that both on- and off-campus students know their fire risk and how to prevent fire emergencies.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), university housing fires occur most frequently in the late summer and fall, and more than 80 percent of campus fire fatalities occur in off-campus housing. Cooking, candles, and overloaded power strips are some of the specific causes for fires in on- and off-campus housing.
Help yourself or your student stay fire safe this school year by encouraging them to follow these USFA tips:
  • Cook only where it is allowed;
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended;
  • Do not overload outlets; and
  • Only use surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection.
Get in the know about campus fire safety by downloading this wall poster from USFA.

No comments: